Today I registered over 30 domains for a client. While doing so I started to think about why we do this.
When a lot of businesses make the decision to go online they search for a domain name that reflects their business name, usually stopping at registering only one. In many instances this could be a costly mistake considering the low cost associated with domain name registration. Instead businesses should consider obtaining a variety of domain names for their company.
There are a number of reasons for registering more than one domain name, mainly focused around future growth, enhancing online identity and allowing more access points to your online presence. Furthermore you will also by protecting your company from competitor hijackings that can restrict your online activity.
7 key benefits for registering more than one domain name are:
- Expansion: You may start your business locally, however, over the years your direction may move to a more global feel. Should you start branching into international markets it will be important to have country specific domains. It is best to do this as search engines will rank country specific domains, such as .ie, higher than a standard .com domain name.
- Misspelling: It is common practice to ensure you add keywords with misspellings when you select keywords for a pay per click campaign so why not do the same for your domain names. This will help potential customers find your business online. Allowing for misspellings of the name will mean you can direct users who misspell your business name to the right destination instead of sending users to an error page or even worse a competitors page.
- Special Offers: Having various domains registered can enable a business to promote various products and services via specialised landings pages.
- Restricting Competitors: Registering more than one domain name for your company can help avoid your competition from registering a similar domain name, restricting your online reach.
- Search Engines: A website which has multiple domain names attached to it is a lot easier to find. Your prospects would prefer having more than one way of finding you when using search engines.
- Protection of Brand: Protection of your brand and online identity is essential for any business online. Securing a variety of names will inevitably boost your brand presence and prevent others from hijacking your company’s presence.
- SEO: Keyword rich domains can play a important part in a search engine optimistation (SEO) plan and will no doubt increase traffic and search engine discoverability.
Registering a domain name is a very easy and inexpensive task. Simply Google domain names or visit a business like www.palmeronihosting.com and use their domain name tools to see what’s available for your business.